For people with complicated or irreversible hip problems, a successful hip replacement procedure can be the right solution. This procedure can increase mobility, eliminate pain, and reduce the worry of falling as you age.
This is probably one of the reasons why a large number of patients have elected to get the procedure performed. In fact, between 2000 and 2010, the number of patients doubled. Each year, more than 310,000 Americans choose to get a hip replacement procedure.
The recovery process has become easier with modern medicine and tech allowing patients to combat hip arthritis, osteoporosis, and other conditions at a young age. Taking this into account, the procedure is only successful if the surgeon is experienced and capable.
Southern California Hip Institute (SCHI), led by committed and seasoned orthopedic surgeon Dr. Tigran Garabekyan provides hip replacement and other orthopedic surgery to patients in Los Angeles, Century City, Beverly Hills, CA, and surrounding communities.
Here are a few key questions you should ask the hip replacement surgeon before selecting them.
Is Hip Replacement the Best Treatment for Me Right Now? Should I Think About Any Other Treatments?
- Does this surgery work well for someone of my age and with my medical problems?
- Will I still have pain while walking?
- Will I be able to resume golfing, swimming, hiking, tennis, or any other activities?
Is There Anything I Can Do for Successful Results?
- Are there any exercises for making my muscles stronger?
- Do I need to learn how to use a walker or crutches before having the surgery?
- Should I lose weight before the procedure?
What Preparations Do I Need to Make at Home to Go to the Hospital?
- Will I need any help when I come back home?
- Will I be on bed rest?
- How can I make my home more comfortable?
- How do I make it easier for me to shower and use the bathroom?
- What supplies will I need during recovery?
- Should I rearrange the furniture?
- Will I be able to climb the steps leading to my bedroom or bathroom?
- Should I go to a rehabilitation facility?
- Will I need to sleep on a hospital or medical bed?
What are the Common Complications and Risks of the Hip Surgery?
- What steps do I take for reducing the risk of complications?
- Do I need to see my regular physicians before getting the hip surgery?
- Will I need blood transfusion after or during the procedure? Is there no way of keeping my blood so that it can be used during an emergency?
What Should I Expect During the Surgery?
- How long will the procedure last for?
- Will you use anesthesia? Do I have any choices?
- Will I have a lot of pain and discomfort following the procedure?
- Will you prescribe any medications for relieving the pain?
- How soon before I can get up and move around?
- How will I use the bathroom following the surgery?
- Will there be a catheter placed in my bladder?
- Who will take care of my physical therapy?
Reliable orthopedic surgeon Dr. Tigran Garabekyan receives patients from Los Angeles, Century City, Beverly Hills, CA, and nearby areas for hip replacement and other orthopedic surgery procedures.
Contact the Southern California Hip Institute
Dr. Tigran Garabekyan is a board certified orthopedic surgeon specializing in hip preservation. To learn more about Southern California Hip Institute or to schedule a consultation, click here to contact us or call:
Century City / Los Angeles: 310.595.1030
Serving patients in Los Angeles, Beverly Hills, Santa Monica, Century City, West Hollywood, North Hollywood Encino, Sherman Oaks, Van Nuys, Burbank, Glendale and other neighboring cities in the greater Los Angeles, California area.
Also visit http://www.drgorthopedics.com/