Back problems can routinely manifest into hip troubles. Experts state that there is tremendous overlap. Ordinary wear and tear in the body can cause pain in the hip and back region.
Southern California Hip Institute (SCHI), led by board certified orthopedic surgeon Dr. Tigran Garabekyan, provides orthopedic surgery to patients in Los Angeles, Century City, Beverly Hills, CA, and surrounding locations.
Is Your Hip Causing Problem?
Hip problems generally produce groin pain as well. This is because the actual hip joint is located near the spine. Groin pain in most cases is thought to be the result of hip problems, unless proven otherwise. However, pain above the belt line is not because of a hip issue.
Osteoarthritis of the hip joint is usually the reason for hip pain. You may be suffering from hip arthritis if:
- Discomfort is on and off or becomes more frequent with time
- Pain is in the groin area
- Pain worsens because of walking, standing, and performing other activities, but is relieved when you rest
- Your hip area feels stiff
- You have a limp while walking
AVN or avascular necrosis is a serious condition characterized by the death of hip joint. The pain is more constant and worse as compared to osteoarthritis.
Is Your Spine Causing Problem?
Majority of lower spine problems are the result of a herniated disc pressing on the spinal column nerves. This results in sciatica pain that radiates through the hip. You may be experiencing a herniated disc if the pain:
- Shoots down your leg
- Is limited to your hip, buttocks, or back
- Improves when walking or standing
- Worsens with bending or sitting
You should consult with your doctor if you have a history of cancer, night sweats, or night pain. The problem could be more serious than you think. Some people suffer from problems in both lower back and hips. This is not surprising since both spinal changes and osteoarthritis are becoming more common with each passing decade.
It is Difficult to Identify the Pain Source
You should seek help from a spine or hip specialist if the source of your pain is not easy to pinpoint. The specialist may order a lidocaine injection or perform therapeutic/diagnostic hip injection under ultrasound or fluoroscopy.
If the problem is in your hip area, this treatment will relieve symptoms by numbing the hip joint immediately. Your doctor will know the root of the trouble is elsewhere if the pain doesn’t improve. This technique can be used for ruling out back pain as well.
Relieving Hip Pain
- You should see an orthopedic surgeon who will likely prescribe NSAIDs.
- Shedding extra pounds is vital for relieving hip pain. This also improves your chances of successful results if you ever require hip surgery.
Relieving Back Pain
- You should see an orthopedic surgeon for NSAIDs. Don’t forget to stay active.
- You may need to schedule physical therapy after two weeks for strengthening back muscles that support your spine.
Board certified orthopedic surgeon Dr. Tigran Garabekyan of the Southern California Hip Institute (SCHI) receives patients from Los Angeles, Century City, Beverly Hills, CA, and nearby areas for orthopedic surgery.
Contact the Southern California Hip Institute
Dr. Tigran Garabekyan is a board certified orthopedic surgeon specializing in hip preservation. To learn more about Southern California Hip Institute or to schedule a consultation, click here to contact us or call:
Century City / Los Angeles: 310.595.1030
Serving patients in Los Angeles, Beverly Hills, Santa Monica, Century City, West Hollywood, North Hollywood Encino, Sherman Oaks, Van Nuys, Burbank, Glendale and other neighboring cities in the greater Los Angeles, California area.
Also visit http://www.drgorthopedics.com/